Sunday, January 8, 2017

Dragonfly Melted Crayon art

Melted Crayon Dragonfly art

Well we have tons of snow and ever more coldness here, its been -14 degrees (yes that is a NEGATIVE SIGN) 4 days in a row now.  The boys did finally head up skiing today, so I decided to hit the scrap room and play for a bit!  This project is created using an 8x10 canvas.  This was sort of trial project - I had seen something similar around the web, and when I saw this month's stencil - I totally wanted to try it - well it didn't work out exactly like I though it would as far as the process went - but the final project turned out amazing.  I had to make a few modifications to my thinking along the way and will share with you what I learned!!!

Supplies needed:
Stencil adhesive (optional)
Stencil
Xacto knife
Canvas
Crayons
Heat gun or hair dryer
White paint/brush
Painter's tape

First, I started out spraying the back of my stencil with stencil adhesive and letting it dry.

 Next, I laid out layer after layer of parinters tape onto my glass cutting board as shown and laid down my dragonfly.  Pressed it to the tape to hold it in place.
I used my xacto knife to follow around the stencil and cut out the dragonfly.
 I then took the dragonfly tape stencil off of the glass mat and placed it onto the canvas as shown:
 Then I raided my school supply box and found some crayons - turns out you really don't need this many - I used a total of 4 crayons - 1 in each color and i still had half of each of those crayons left over.
 Remove the wrappers from the crayons.
 Hold a crayon vertical above the edge of the dragonfly and use the heatgun to drop 4-5 drops of crayon onto the canvas/stencil, then set the crayon down and pick up the canvas, turn the canvas, and use heat gun to reheat up the drips and the crayon will flow down the canvas in longer drips.
 Add as many colors as you like:
 Remove the stencil - now this is where I found my main issue - the crayon went under the stencil somehow.  I still don't really see why it did this - but I didn't let that stop me.  And maybe it looks good to you as is, I almost left it as is, because it actually looked pretty good...but a las I didn't...I scraped any chunky bits of crayon that had gone under the stencil away.
 Then I just grabbed my white acrylic paint and painted the dragonfly back to a solid white.  I think this looks nice an clean and the look I was going for...

Hope you have a great day and even a better work week!!

The majority of the materials used in this project are from ClubScrap. TFL DebDuzScrappin
 photo Artistteambadge_rsz_zpsee8cbeff.jpg

1 comment:

  1. This turned out so awesome! I love wintery craft days. I can't even image the mess I would create with melting crayons...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin