Monday, January 18, 2016

Etched Wine Glasses

So I made a set of these for my hubby a number of years ago - but almost all of them have been broken since then and he is down to just 1 left and has been asking me to make him more...Well his birthday is coming up, so we decided to make some more for him.  So don't tell him...

Supplies:
Wine glasses
Armour etch cream (hobby store)
Paint brush
Vinyl 'sticky' stencil

Instructions:
You can purchase sticky stencils, but I chose to create my own.  I used my cricut to cut my designs out of vinyl sticky sticker paper...or - but I personally don't like this as much - you can use sticky drawer liner paper.  The reason I don't like it as well is, this stuff doesn't stick as well, especially for real detailed designs, the etching cream can work its way under the stencil if it doesn't stick as well.  If the cream gets under it, it will mess up the design.  I did try it on 2 of these glasses and it did work out alright - but they took more work to get just right.

Put the sticky stencil onto the glass.  There needs to be NO bubbles that cream can go under (it will ruin design).  This will take patience and an exacto knife.  If there are bubbles you need to cut through the center of the bubble to the edge of the stencil.  Peel up the stencil and overlay the two pieces so there is no bubble.  I did this in probably 6 or so different spots around the stencil on each glass.

Add blue painters tape to cover more of the glass, so if the etching cream drips or flows anywhere, it won't have a chance to etch glass in the wrong spots.

Use a small paint brush to apply etching cream - do a thick layer.  The Armour Etch cream folks say you only have to wait 30 seconds for the cream to work.  Mine sits for probably 5 to 10 minutes because I am making doing a batch at a time.  Either way should work.


Once the time is up, then I used the paint brush and wipe up some of the cream and put it back in the jar, to reuse.  I am cheap what can I say!  Rinse the rest of the cream off the glasses.

Remove tape and stencils, wash glass completely and let dry.




The majority of the materials used in this project are from ClubScrap. TFL DebDuzScrappin
 photo Artistteambadge_rsz_zpsee8cbeff.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin